The Fatbike Frozen Forty is a 20-ish (2 laps), 30-ish (3 laps), and 40-ish (4 laps)** mile fatbike race that offers racers a great mid-winter challenge on a course composed of 100% groomed singletrack. Racers can choose to race in the men’s or women’s solo 2 lap, 3 lap, or 4 lap options.
***BONUS OPTION NEW FOR 2019*** – 10 lucky, frozen souls will be in it to race 10 full laps of Elm Creek. That’s well over 100 miles. Start early, finish late. Limited to 10. There will be big awards to those finishing 10 laps in under 12 hours.
** “ish” – if you’re worried about the extra distance, you should consider it more time and distance for your money. It’s all about your perspective.
Address: 1827 W Hayden Lake Rd, Champlin, MN 55316 [CLICK TO PULL UP MAP]
Exact times are subject to tweaks. If you have any questions or would like to volunteer, please contact us.
Friday, February 8, 2019
Packet Pick Up:
– LOCATION AND TIME IS TBD
– We recommend that you stop in to packet pickup to get your timing chip, racer bag (includes some goods), and gets you 10 extra raffle tickets for the post race awards schwag giveaway. Racers are given 2 tickets after the race to be in the drawing for schwag. Instead of just throwing goods out to people in the crowd, we draw tickets.
– There will be some prizes to give away to random winners, deals, food, and more.
– Getting all set up on Friday night will make sure there are no timing issues, team issues, or any other issues and will help you to avoid spending any extra time messing around with things on Saturday morning.
Saturday, February 9, 2019
(Note: If you checked in Friday night, you only need to confirm your name and number with race official on Saturday)
– 6:00 am – 10 lap (100++ mile) riders start. You will receive special information prior to the race, so stay tuned.
– 7:45-9:30 am – Prerace check-in (If you checked in Friday night, there is no need to check in Saturday morning)
– 9:45 am – Prerace meeting at start line for 30 and 40-milers
– 10:00 am – Race start for all 30-mile and 40-mile racers [Line up according to your anticipated time – See past year results for more information]
– 10:30 am – Race start for all 20-mile racers
– 12:30 – 12:45 pm – Estimated finish time of first 20-mile male racer
– 12:45 – 1:00 pm – Estimated finish time of first 20-mile female racer
– 12:45 – 1:15 pm – Approximate time of first 30-mile male racer
– 1:15 – 1:45 pm – Approximate time of first 30-mile female racer
– 1:45 – 2:15 pm – Estimated finish time of first 40-mile male racer
– 2:15 – 2:45 pm – Estimated finish time of first 40-mile female racer
What Do You Get with the Race?
We’re looking forward to having you join us for our 5th anniversary! It’s been great to meet everyone over the years and it’s been fun learning something new each year to improve your experience. Here is a list of some things you’ll experience at the Fatbike Frozen 40 in 2016.
- Groomed singletrack 11-mile loop course
- Free custom racer bag with custom pint for each registered racer
- Great swag from awesome sponsors
- Heated tent for check-in, pre/during/post race resting and relaxing
- Professional timing
- Homemade breakfast burritos – We’ve made them by hand each year and they’ve been a race favorite. We’ll have them again!
- Food – Last year we provided grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, and plenty of snacks
- Complimentary coffee and hot chocolate
- Awards for top 3 in each category
- Limited edition designed Frozen 40 shirts available for purchase
- Feed station stocked with Tailwind Nutrition
- Neutral mechanical support
- Fire pits with campfires to keep your frozen fingers from falling off
- We are donating a portion of proceeds to MORC and Elm Creek trail maintenance
We’ve worked with Minneapolis Northwest Convention & Visitors Bureau to provide racers discounted options for local hotels. Please check back here for details in the coming months.
The following is a list of some questions that we’ve received in the past. If you have any questions, please contact us.
- Q: Are there aid stations on course?
- A: No. There is a neutral table (likely in the heated tent to keep the liquid from freezing) at the check-in area that functions as your race-provided nutrition. It will include Tailwind Nutrition and many other snacks.
- Q: Is there a solo racer pit area and can we reserve one?
- A: Yes, the right side of the road past the gate is where you should set up your gear. We will mark it off with cones.
- Q: I’m really fast and I think I deserve to start in the front, can I get a call up?
- A: No, we are not doing specific call ups this year. You are on your own to fit in where you think you should line up. Please don’t line up in front if you’re normally a mid-pack racer and just want to get ahead for the first 100 yards. The start line will be at the entrance of the parking lot. Don’t be a dick.
- Q: Do I have to ride a fatbike and what is a fatbike exactly? Will you be measuring tires?
- A: Yes, you have to ride a fatbike. A fatbike is a bike with 3.7 inch wide tires or larger. We will not be measuring tires, but if someone points it out (and riders do notice), you will be disqualified and not welcome back to the FFF, ever. Don’t be a dick.
- Q: Can we register on the day of the event?
- A: No. Online registration will close several days before the event if it’s not already filled by then (it’s likely to hit the max number of entries early).
- Q: We’re racing on a team: Do we each need a bike? Do we have to ride in a specific order? Can we share a timing chip?
- A: No, you can use just one bike if that’s what you have. (Ex: 4 person team only has 1 bike = OK.) No, you can pick whatever order you want – if a rider gets cold, doesn’t show up, or just doesn’t want to do another lap, any other person on the team can do a lap in their place. Each bike needs a timing chip.
- Q: We’re racing on a team: Can only one of our racers get the teams racer bags at check in?
- A: Yes
- Q: Where can I park?
- A: Parking is limited. You may want to arrive early. There is a medium sized parking lot directly on site. The other parking is along the road before the gate. No parking past the gate.
- Q: Are there bathrooms on site?
- A: Yes, there is a park bathroom and we bring in two portatoilets. They are not heated…plan accordingly.
- Q: Can I stash bottles or get food/bottles/support out on course?
- A: No, you cannot stash bottles on course. Yes, you can get support on course. Click for the rules